Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Software Development Stages

Recently bought an old book for 1 dollar CAD. The reason why it was so cheap was because it's 33 years old! The book is called "8080A-8085 Assembly Language Programming by Lance A. Leventhal". This book focuses on assembly language with the 8080A-8085 microprocessors. Something I definitively don't need to learn in 2011. But I bought it because it was old and unique to me. I thought I might be able to get a basic understanding of assembly from it. Now I was fairly wrong, it was hard to get any information from the book related to assembly. But I was clearly able to get information about software development stages and about compilers etc..
So with this post I am going to post the software development stages and see if you use them when you code.


  1. Problem definition
  2. Program design
  3. Coding
  4. Debugging
  5. Testing
  6. Documentation
  7. Maintenance and re-design
They all look reasonable but do you use these type of stages when coding? I use most of these here, but I don't always use them in this order. For starters I don't usually document my code, I leave comments in my code but not enough to consider it documented. Something I hope to improve over time as I continue to code. Now I usually define the problem when i'm designing the program. I don't do one before the other I do them throughout the design process. I also debug and test at the same time to find the bugs easier because i'm interacting with the program. Re-design is only used if I want to improve my code and I fix my code when i'm debugging.

Now does anyone use those stages exactly how they are laid out or are yours mixed like mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment